Careprost Eye Drops is used for treating open-angle glaucoma by lowering increased pressure in the eyes (ocular hypertension) in humans. It works by enhancing the flow of fluid from the eye. It is also known as Lumigan and Latisse in the US. Careprost eye drops contain the therapeutic ingredient Bimatoprost in a concentration of 0.03% which is a synthetic analogue of prostamide, in an ophthalmic solution (0.3mg/ml w/v) used to lower intraocular pressure (IOP) in glaucoma. An applicator in the form of fine eyeliner brush is available with the package. Sodium phosphate dibasic, sodium chloride, citric acid monohydrate, purified water and the preservative benzalkonium chloride; sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid are the other ingredients of Careprost 0.03%. These eye drops are also used in condition when eyelash growth is abnormal and is not adequate. It increases length and fullness of eyelashes.
GLAUCOMA is a condition of eyes in which the fluid increase in the eyes which results in increased intraocular pressure (IOP). Increased IOP can damage the optic nerve fibres that emerge out of the back of the eye to the brain. It can lead to loss of vision in a period of time and can lead to total blindness in that eye.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Bimatoprost is a synthetic structural analog of prostaglandin named as prostamide . It lowers the pressure in eyes known as intraocular pressure (IOP) of humans. The higher the level of IOP, the greater is the chances of the optic nerve (eye nerve) damage and loss of vision. Bimatoprost lowers intraocular pressure (IOP) in humans by increasing the release of aqueous humor (fluid in the eyes) through eyes. Bimatoprost reduces the pressure in the eye by acting like prostaglandin. Prostaglandins are chemicals found in the body which perform many functions. In the eye, they increase the outflow of the aqueous humour. Bimatoprost works in the same way as prostaglandins by increasing the flow of aqueous humor and lowering the rate of formation of aqueous humour in the eye. Both these effects lower the pressure in the eye.
Careprost eye drops 0.03 % are used in the treatment of open-angle glaucoma by decreasing intraocular pressure. They are also used to treat hypotrichosis, which is a condition in which eyelash growth is not normal and sufficient. It aids in having a longer, thicker and darker eyelashes.
HOW TO ADMINISTER
One drop of Careprost eye drops 0.03% should be instilled in affected eyes, once a day. It should be instilled in the evening. It provides better effects if instructions are followed carefully. If you are using contact lenses, remove them before instilling Careprost eye drops and then replace them. Careprost eye drops should be used daily for as long as recommended by your doctor. These eye drops do not cure glaucoma; only help in maintaing normal eye pressure.
For Eyelash Growth
Careprost eye drops should be used once nightly, by applying it with the help of fine brush provided with the pack to the base of the upper eye lashes of each eye. Avoid applying to lower eyelids and touching other areas of the body because it can lead to unwanted hair growth. Clean your eyes and face. Ensure application brush is not contaminated. Apply it with the brush by keeping it close to your eyelid and drawing a line over it. Do not apply it on your lower eyelid. You will find the results within 8 weeks. Your eyelashes will return to their original condition, within a few weeks or months in case you have stopped using Careprost eye drops.
If you forget instilling Careprost eye drops in a day, then use it immediately after remembering. But do not double the dose on next day.
The most commonly reported side effects are
1. Red eyes (conjunctival hyperemia)
2. Itching, burning and irritation of the eye (conjunctivitis) and eyelid (blepharitis)
3. Increased sensitivity to light,
4. Dark circles around eyes
5. Changes in vision visual
6. Darkening of eylelashes and iris
8. Infection (colds and upper respiratory tract infections).
In case any of these side effects prolong stop using eye drops and immediately contact your doctor.
You should not use Careprost eye drops 0.03% in the following conditions.
1. If you have any allergy or hypersensitivity to bimatoprost or any of the ingredients in Careprost eye drops
2. In case you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant in future or breast feeding always consult your doctor before using Careprost.
3. Patient with liver, kidney or respiratory disorders.
4. If you are using any bimatoprost for any other condition of eyes.
1. Always check the intact seal and expiry date on the eye drop bottle before using them.
2. Do not touch the tip of bottle and replace the cap after use in order to prevent contamination.
3. Always remove your eye lenses (in case you are using them) before putting Careprost drops in your eyes.
4. In case you are using Careprost glaucoma, do not use Careprost eye drops for eyelash growth.
5. Should be used carefully in children
6. Do not use if you are having any infection or injury of the eyes.
Following drugs interact with Careprost eye drops:
1. Bimatoprost topical
2. Latanoprost ophthalmic
3. Latisse (topical bimatoprost)
4. Xalatan ( latanoprost ophthalmic)
Always discuss with your doctor before using any drug simultaneously with Careprost eye drops.
Store your Careprost eye drops in a cool place below 25°C. Always replace the cap properly to prevent contamination. One bottle of Careprost eye drops should be used within one month of opening. Discard the left product after one month.