Latanoprost is a synthetic derivative of prostaglandin. Prostaglandin is the natural chemical substances which are present in the body. It promotes the flow of aqueous humour liquid in eye and this lessens the strain within the eye ball. Ciliary body is responsible for producing the aqueous humour. With the blockage of trabecular meshwork, the flow of liquid gets lowered thus ultimately protects the eyes from eye diseases like glaucoma, vision disorder and other related problems. Other benefits of Latim eye drop are treating ocular hypertension. Beta blockers Timolol is effective in lowering the pressure and acts as a safeguard for optic nerve.
Therapeutic benefits of using Latim eye drop:
Latim eye drop is use for managing the high pressure inside the eye (glaucoma) and ocular hypertension.
Dosing of Latim eye drop:
- For adult patient – receive one drop in a day of this drug in affected eye.
- For pediatric patient – Same dose as adult patients.
Side effects of Latim eye drop:
- The common side effects are pain in eyes, increased tear, rashes on skin, inflammation.
- The rare side effects are panting, pain in chest and itching.
- The less common side effects are redness, swelling and pain.
Contraindications of Latim eye drop:
If patient is distress from some disease already then there is a possibility that this medicine may cause contraindication and might produce some unsafe effects. So patient shouldn’t consume this drug if he is suffering from some of these diseases like –
- It should not be used if you have other form of glaucoma.
- In case you are pregnant, scheduling to become pregnant, or are lactating mother.
- In case of inflammation, eye injury and redness, do not take the Latim.
- In case you have any surgery then do not go for instilling this eye drop.
Drug Interactions of Latim eye drop:
Some of drug may interact with this medicine and may affect on its action. Do not take following drugs with this medicine like –
- Drugs such as Lithobid and Eskalith can cause the reduction of elimination of lithium from body.
- Blood thinning drugs like Warfarin enhances the menace of blood loss.
- Other prostaglandin derivatives can shoe interactions.
Storage condition of Latim eye drop:
This medicine should be stored in cool place and keep away from dust and direct sunlight. It should be stored in well closed air tight container.
Precautions of Latim eye drop:
Precautions are indispensable to be followed before taking this medicine. Some of these safety measures which should be followed are-
- Before the instilling of this medicine wash down your hands.
- In case of presence of ant type of inflammation in eye, do not instill the eye drop.
- Don’t touch the tip of dropper.
- If you are allergic to Latanoprost or Timolol, have the necessary precautions.
Missed Dose of Latim eye drop:
If you missed your dose please take it as soon as possible but if it is getting the time for next dose skip the missed dose and take the next dose as per your schedule.
Overdose of Latim eye drop:
Please do not take overdose of this medicine. If you take overdose of this medicine please contact with your doctor as soon as possible.