Soma 500MG is a centrally acting muscle relaxant which is used for muscle spasms and other musculoskeletal injuries. It works by acting on brain instead of on muscles. It contains a therapeutic ingredient named Carisoprodol. It blocks signals which are responsible for pain. It is prescribed for short term painful conditions. It is a sedative; used with physical therapy to relieve pain and discomfort caused by musculoskeletal injuries. This medication should be used as long as your doctor tells you to do so because stop taking it suddenly can lead to serious withdrawal symptoms. It is a habit forming agent so always keep it in a place where others can’t reach. SOMA can alter your alertness so always be careful while driving or doing some work that requires attention.
Muscle Relaxants are the drugs which relax muscles and produce relieve in various musculoskeletal conditions like sprain, strain. They exert their action either directly acting on muscles or by indirectly acting on the brain.
MECHANISM OF ACTION
Carisoprodol is a GABA A receptor agonist (it binds to GABA A receptors). It relaxes muscles by obstructing interneuron activity and inhibits transmission of neurons in the descending reticular formation and spinal cord. Meprobamate is the active metabolite of carisoprodol which has analgesic (pain relieving) and anti-pyretic property. Carisoprodol acts on central nervous system and have sedative action.
It is used as a pain reliever in short term musculoskeletal conditions like muscular spasms and injuries.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
Always start taking the medicine in the manner prescribed by your doctor. Do not ever change the dose without consulting doctor. Dosage can vary from patient to patient depending on the condition or type of injury. The recommended dose of SOMA is 1400 mg a day in 3 or 4 divided doses. Take the oral tablet with a glass full of water. SOMA can be taken both ways either on an empty stomach or after eating something.
If you have missed the dose of a day take it as soon as you remember but in case you forget then leave it, take your next daily dose at time. Do not double your dose the next day.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS?
This medicine should be used for short duration. During the use some general side effects can be seen like drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, headache and sedation. These side effects go away with time but a chance of few serious side effects is always there. In case you experience any of the below mentioned side effects immediately contact your nearest emergency centre.
1. Allergic reaction to the drug manifested as redness, itching, swelling of lips/ throat/neck, rashes and trouble breathing.
2. Fall in blood pressure on changing your position (postural hypotension)
3. Tachycardia (increased heart rate)
4. Loss of coordination and balance
5. Vomiting and abdominal upset
6. Pain in chest and shallow breathing
7. Loss of consciousness
It is habit forming drug, when taken intentionally or accidentlly by a person can lead to fatal consequences. Symptoms of overdose are: severe sedation, shallow breathing, sweating more than normal, dilated pupil, fast pulse rate, convulsions. In case you notice any symptoms seek medical help immediately.
Always consult with your doctor before using any other drug with SOMA. Some medicines which interact with SOMA are:
1. CNS depressants like Triprolidine, Methotrimeprazine,
2. Anti-anxiety drugs( Alperazolam, Diazepam, Zolpidem, Meprobamate),
3. Anti-allergy drugs (Cetrizine, Diphenhydramine)
4. Other muscle relaxants
5. Narcotic pain relievers
This list of drugs is not complete. There are lot many other drugs that can interact with SOMA. Always have a talk with your doctor before starting therapy with SOMA.
Do not use SOMA:
1. In case you are allergic to SOMA or meprobamate, tybamate, mebitamate
2. If you have had a past illness of blood disorder (acute intermittent porphyria) and epilepsy (seizures). It is highly contraindicated.
3. In elderly patients; use with doctor’s consultation.
4. In liver and/or kidney dysfunction.
PRECAUTIONS AND WARNINGS
1. Avoid using SOMA during first trimester of pregnancy. It can be used during the last 6 months of pregnancy, only when your doctor tells you to do so.
2. If you are a nursing mother always consult your doctor before using SOMA. This drug passes through breast milk and can be dangerous for your new born.
3. SOMA can make you sleepy and diminish alertness so don’t drive or do any work that requires alertness after you have taken it.
4. In case you are on any other sedative therapy, tell your doctor. When taken together both can cause severe drowsiness.
5. DO not drink alcohol while using SOMA. It can severely affect your alertness.
6. Should not be given to children aged 12 years or less.
7. Do not take it for more than two or three weeks until you have been prescribed by the doctor.
8. It should only be used by that person only for whom it is prescribed.
STORING THE PRODUCT
Store at room temperature 20° - 25°C in a place where others can’t reach. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed.
Soma 500mg is white coloured tablet, round in shape and appear as crystalline powder. It has mild odour and is bitter in taste. Offered Soma is soluble in water, alcohol, chloroform and acetone. It does not depend on the pH. The chemical and molecular formula of Soma appears as N-isopropyl-2-methyl-2-propyl-1,3propanediol dicarbamate&C12H24N2O4 respectively.
Soma has a molecular weight of 260.33. Alginic acid, magnesium sterate, calcium phosphate, starch, potassium sorbate, magnesium stearate are some of the ingredients that are present in generic drug, Soma.
Soma 500mg should be used for treatment of muscle pain and should not be used for long period of time. The dose of Soma shall not extend beyond three weeks. If the user of Soma feel that it is not beneficial to them in curing their problem, should stop this medicine or the dose taken by them.
One should not increase the dose thinking that increasing dose might cure the problem early. Sometimes, the overdose of medicines might lead to serious problem in the patients.
Soma should be taken three times in a day for two to three weeks depending upon the severity of the condition. The last dose should be taken before going to the bed. Soma can be taken after food or in empty stomach.
Not all patients will experience the side effects of the drug, Soma, however some of them might get allergic reactions such as difficulty in breathing, face, lip, throat & sometimes even tongue swells. If the user of Soma 500mg getting such symptoms, must contact their doctor without wasting time. Also, if the patients allergic to anything or had any kind of allergic reaction in the past because of Soma, should reveal about this to the doctor, so that the doctor or the medical advisor can give and adjust the dose accordingly.
Some person feel light headed, paralysis and their heartbeat increases. In some cases, the person looses their vision, they are confused about anything and not able to decide on anything, sometimes they faint also.
Rarely, patient’s shows headache, drowsiness, problem in sleeping, nausea, vomiting and their stomach become upset and they feel very depressed. In all such cases, the person should consult a good doctor before the condition become worse.
Sometimes, the inactive present in the tablet of Soma might cause allergic reaction to the patient. In that case, the user should consult their doctor as the allergic reaction and cause serious problem in the patients.
One should avoid doing work that requires high alertness such as driving a vehicle, operates machine, etc.Soma causes drowsiness in the patients. The patients should avoid taking alcohol or alcoholic beverages if using Soma.
If someone who is suffering or had suffered from diseases related to liver, kidney, etc. should inform to the doctor prior taking this Soma drug as it may interact and cause some problem to the patients.